- Handball World Coach who led the German team to win a bronze medal at the 2016 Olympics
- Five-times Icelandic Championship winner who participated in the 2004 Olympics
- Awarded ‘World Coach of the Year’ in 2017 across all sports
- Sigurdsson will stay on the helm of the Japanese national handball team until the Olympic Games 2024 in Paris.
- A successful entrepreneur who co-founded and operates the Kex Hostel in Reykjavik, Iceland with a strong interest in gastronomy and the motor vehicle and IT industries
- Keynote speaker focusing on leadership, team building, and motivation
Dagur Sigurdsson was born into a sports-orientated Icelandic family in 1973. Initially a successful football player who played for the Icelandic U17 team, he soon decided on pursuing a career as a handball player. His career saw Dagur play 215 internationals for his country. He won the Icelandic Championship five times and was a successful participant at several European and World Championships as well as the 2004 Olympic Games.
Kicking off his coaching career at Wakunaga Hiroshima and AI Bregenz, Dagur Sigurdsson coached the Austrian national handball team from 2008 to 2010, leading them to a ninth-place at the 2010 European Championships. His biggest successes include winning the 2014 German Cup and the 2015 European Cup respectively while coaching the German club Füchse Berlin.
In 2016, Dagur Sigurdsson, together with the German national team, won the European championship. His hard work saw him award the title “World Handball Coach” in 2016. This was followed by his leading the German team to a bronze medal at the 2016 Olympic Games.
The beginning of 2017 saw Dagur Sigurdsson take on a new challenge. He became the new Japanese national handball team coach.
To Dagur Sigurdsson, meticulous attention to detail, creativity, and tranquillity are the pillars of his success. According to him, these apply to both sports and business.
A successful entrepreneur, Dagur Sigurdsson is the co-founder and operator of the Kex Hostel in Reykjavik. He is also, on an entrepreneurial level, involved in the gastronomy, motor vehicle, and IT industries. Dagur is also the author of “Fire and Ice: Passion for Success”.
Dagur Sigurdsson – Speaker
As a conference speaker, Dagur Sigurdsson focuses on topics relating to leadership, team building, and motivation. He lives in Iceland and speaks English, German, and Icelandic.
He spends most of his year based in Iceland with three months of the year in Japan coaching handball.
- The Dagur formula – talent + training x attitude: Dagur Sigurdsson is a successful trainer and motivator. His team is highly motivated and enthusiastic about his extraordinary methods. Learn in this lecture what really matters and how you can sustainably increase the performance of your team!
- Adaptation or replacement – by individualists and team players: In a team, everyone involved has individual strengths and weaknesses. What applies to sport also applies to companies. In this lecture, Dagur Sigurdsson explains how you can promote talented individuals and at the same time strengthen the team as a whole!
- Young and wild – team leadership of generation Y: Dagur Sigurdsson has proven that he can successfully deal with young and inexperienced team players! Companies can also benefit from his knowledge. Find out what is important for Generation Y’s team leadership and how you can successfully achieve your goals!
- In a nutshell – it makes the statement: If you have ever seen Dagur Sigurdsson in handball, then you will know that his short and precise statements distinguish him. Hear how you can get your message across and why tight announcements often do more than debauched speeches.
- Planning is good, implementation is crucial – achieving goals: A plan can still be good – in the end it depends on the right implementation! Dagur Sigurdsson explains how to set and achieve goals. Learn in this lecture about strategic planning and successful implementation.
- (New) From Europe to Asia (New): As a European, Dagur is highly respected and respected in Asia. Learn what is important to operate successfully in Asia. Through his international experience, Dagur Sigurdsson knows how to be successful in Asia and teaches you the most important behaviors and recipes for success.