Rob Forkan is half of the brothership that founded the Gandys brand alongside brother Paul, who came from a bohemian traveling and volunteering all over the World. They lost both their parents in the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami and since then their lives have transformed remarkably in a positive way.
Driven by their personal passion after the tragic loss of their parents in the 2004 boxing day Tsunami and narrowly surviving themselves they hitched hiked home with there younger siblings all aged from 8 years old to 17 in a 3rd world country. They had experienced the biggest natural disaster in recorded history and have turned horrific sorrow and adversity into success.
Rob & Paul created the Gandys brand and website from their bedroom in London hand in hand with their charitable foundation; ‘Orphans for Orphans’ which helps support deprived children with an education, medication, and nutrition. The most notable achievement was reaching the initial vision of building a children’s home in memory of their parents for the 10th year anniversary in Sri Lanka and they are now building another in Malawi.
The brothers live by a simple philosophy, which is strongly reflected in the brand, Designed in London, Inspired by Travel, Fuelled by giving back.
– Prince William and Prince Harry invited the brothers to Buckingham Palace to be recognised as Young Leaders for the Commonwealth
– Sir Richard Branson supported the brothers and puts their flip flops and round towels in the room for all people who stay on Necker Island
– Liberty – Collaborated with their prints and the did a huge launch in store
– Rolling Stones have asked the brothers to create a summer collection for Rolling Stones exhibitionism World Tour
– Former Prime Minster David Cameron visited them at one of their Kid’s Campus in Sri Lanka
– Authors of Tsunami Kids the book that shares their remarkable story – Amazon Best Seller
– Rolling out stores across the UK – 8 Further stores opening in the next 18 months
Rob and Paul’s aim, with the founding of Gandys, was not to make money. Rather, their business was built up with the aim of ‘doing good’. Their first meeting with potential investors had the brothers in flipflops and shorts, while their prospective investors were dressed in suits. Ambassadors for the brand include, amongst others, the likes of Sir Richard Branson and Prince Harry.
“In the long term, we’d like to have children’s homes in every continent in the world.” – Paul Forkan
‘Rob and Paul’s story was very moving and I was humbled by their ability to turn a personal tragedy into something so positive.’ – Sir Richard Branson
Rob was fantastic, we have had such amazing feedback from the event and so many people saying how inspiring his talk was. The audience was engaged, he was interesting, inspiring and entertaining. He stayed for a while too which was really great. Thank you so much for all your help.
In five years' time, I'd like our flip flops to be seen in all the top shops in America. On the other side of the business, giving back, I'd like to have projects all over the world. "In the long term, we'd like to have children's homes in every continent in the world.
Rob and Paul's story was very moving and I was humbled by their ability to turn a personal tragedy into something so positive.